Thursday, July 09, 2009

Seths Pine Wood Derby



Seth with his super cool car
ready to race


Seth and all the cub scouts with their trophies
Seth enjoyed his first pine wood derby this year. We did have a fewobstacles though. Ryan got started early with his car. Seth drew out the design of a test tube and Ry went to work shaping it, but by the time it was about finished being shaped we realized it looked like something else and decided to save that car for the previous posted rocket car race at Papa's. Seth then came up with a new scorpion like design for his new car and he and daddy went to work. I helped with the paint and tail. The night of the race Ry had to work late so I had to put on the wheels and hope the weight was right. When we weighed in it was still a little light, so I ran home ( with all of the kids in tow) and got some quarters and electrical tape. I guessed how much to put on and weighed in again=this time it was perfect. Just as the race was about to begin the cub master came to me and told me that Seth's car had illegal wheels on it. I have never been involved in a pine wood derby and had no idea. I guess when we were in Mona the week before making cars we had several different brands, but I thought they were all pretty much the same. When we came home we just grabbed enough stuff to finish Seth's. The wheels we brought home were not from the Boy Scout Pine Wood Kit and therefore illegal. I ran home once again to see if I could find some other wheels but couldn't. He was still allowed to race, but if he placed he would not get his medal. After the first run I could tell that was not going to be an issue-his car and his buddy's car didn't make it across the finish line. I was freaking out because they will let you try to graphite the wheels or fix them and Ry was not there. I didn't know what that meant, but luckily one of the dads there helped me out. Every run after that his car did better and better. He didn't place, but he did win the trophy for Showstopper. I love my boys and had a lot of fun watching him design and race his car. He is such a good sport and always has a good time competing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

counter